Sunday, July 1, 2012

Countdown to the Nova Open: 60 days and counting!




Well it looks like we are down to only 60 days until the Nova Open and I (like a lot of you) are pouring over the 6 edition rulebook and the codex FAQs to figure out what to take. I am glad that they dropped 5th edition and are going with 6th. There is so much interest in 6th, and everyone is sick and tired of 5th edition. Now there is going to be a lot of interest in the event to see what is going to happen to the future of 40k.

I said that I was going to retire my Draigowing and it is time to start a new army. I am starting from scratch, so I have my work cut out for me to get it done in 60 days. I have a couple of ideas for a new army, and I do not know which way to go. The new rules opened up so many possibilities and I am sure that we are going to see a bunch of combos that no one saw coming do well at the Nova. 

At first glance it looks like Necrons got an even bigger boost (warscythes, no retreat gone, night scythes, etc)  which is surprising because they have been secretly the best codex out there. If you doubt me look at the tournament results...necrons have been a very small percentage of the field but they have won a lot of GTs and the ones that they didn’t win they had a very good showing. Compare this to Grey Knights which the conventional wisdom says is the best codex. We all know that they have had huge numbers of people playing them at tournaments, but they have failed to produce a lot of top finishes (oddly enough the exception that proves the point is adepticon).

The good thing is that I have several unbuilt armies, (and one of the reasons why I am nearly immune to GW’s price rises). I have it down to 2 armies and I have not made up my mind. This is rough without knowing what direction the meta is going to go, and I will have an army that is half built by the time I have a sense of it. Oh, well, I will just dive in and see what happens. It has a great theme, and I have a little practice playing it. The one downside is that I do not know if my painting skill is up to a level that will do it justice.


Road to the Nova Open
So I have to get a lot of test games in to hone skill with this army to get it up to a level so I can compete in one of the largest US GTs, and do well. The hard part is that I have to do it in 60 days so that means that I need to go to a lot of tournaments to do that. The problem is that it will eat into my hobby time. 

Here is my schedule of the events that I have planned. I am sure that there are going to be some other RTTs along the way, in addition to:

July 14th
1500 RTT at Game Empire in Pasadena Ca.

August 4-5th
I have a choice here:
The Golden Throne GT in San Jose

Feast of Blades qualifier event or,

1500 RTT at Game Empire, San Diego

August 18th
Feast of Blades qualifier at Imperial Outpost in Glendale Az

And then to cap it off:
August 30th- September 2nd
Nova Open Arlington Va.

No comments:

Post a Comment