Thursday, March 10, 2011

Genesis of my Adepticon Demonhunters

So here is my latest list for Adepticon:

HQ
Brother-Captian Stern
1 Terminator w/Incinerator
1 Terminator w/Thunderhammer/Stormshield (very crappy version)
2 Terminators

Troops
4 Grey Knights
2 Grey Knights w/Psycannons
1 Justicar

4 Grey Knights
2 Grey Knights w/Psycannons
1 Justicar

Imperial Guard Platoon
Jr Officer
4 Command Squad w/4 Flamers
Chimera w/Multi-laser/Heavy Bolter

7 Imperial Guardsmen
2 Heavy Weapon Gunners w/Autocannon
1 Sergeant
1 Commissar
Chimera w/Multi-laser/Heavy Bolter

7 Imperial Guardsmen
2 Heavy Weapon Gunners w/Autocannon
1 Sergeant

5 Stormtroopers w/2 Melta Guns  

Heavy Support
Land Raider w/Extra Army
Land Raider

Dreadnaught w/TL Lascannon

So when I came up with the bad idea of taking Demonhunters to Adepticon I made a list that suits my play style. I like armies that are small and elite (with Demonhunters done and done!) and that sit back and shoot. So with that I made an army that I think can compete with the other top armies. You see the results of what I came up with in my other posts.  This is to show you how that army changed from what I started out with to the army I will take to Adepticon.


This is how my list changed:
HQ
What I started with:
Grandmaster w/Psycannon, Psychic hood
Retnue
3 Terminators w/a Psycannon
Terminator w/Thunderhammer, Storm Shield (crappy version)

Changed into:
Brother-Captain Stern
3 Terminators w/Incinerator
Terminator w/Thunderhammer, Storm Shield (crappy version)

I basically changed the Grandmaster into Stern, and I changed them for a few reasons. The Grandmaster was a lot more points, and I need every point I can get. Also the terminators just ended up sitting in their Land Raider as a counter-assault unit, and did not see the light of day to shoot their guns. The down side is that they do get to move and shoot 6 shots at 36” and that ability will be missed. I chose Stern because he has what I really need with the force weapon that ignores eternal warrior. He also comes with other perks like the psychic powers holocaust and hammerhand, and has the ability to re-roll any roll (with a drawback). Since their new role is now counter-assault only, I changed their weapon to an incinerator so they can get out and BBQ something. I am still hurting for points, so now that I picked up Holocaust I do not know if I need it.

Troops
4 Grey Knights
2 Grey Knights w/Psycannon
Justicar

4 Grey Knights
2 Grey Knights w/Psycannon
Justicar

No change

This unit is working like a charm. They can shoot well for some good anti-infantry, and they are ok at killing light armor. Also they get to throw in a lot of storm bolters at 24” for more anti-horde firepower. They can also take on most 10-man assault squads if they get to shoot first and then charge. Most Sergeants do all of the killing in MEQ vs. MEQs and most hit on 4 and wound on 4s. The Justicar hits on 3s and wounds on 6s doing a lot of damage.

5 Storm Troopers w/Melta guns
After I used them the first time, I dropped them. To make up for this I gave the IG squads Melta guns, but I found out the hard way that one shot as BS 3 was not getting the job done and I needed to add them back in. 

Infantry Platoon
4 Guardsmen w/4 Flamers
Platoon Leader
Chimera

9 Guardsman w/Lascannon
Sergeant
Chimera

9 Guardsman w/Lascannon
Sergeant
Chimera

Changed too:
4 Guardsmen w/4 Flamers
Platoon Leader
Chimera

9 Guardsman w/Autocannon
Sergeant
Commissar
Chimera

9 Guardsman w/Autocannon
Sergeant

This unit changed a lot. The reason for most of the change was that I played Shep’s Mech Guard and I lost. The reason why I lost was not that I was out-classed; it was that I had poor target priority. Note to self: Kill Manticores first! But it illustrated my need for more anti-tank. The Land Raiders are awesome, but the two BS 3 Lascannons were not cutting it, so I had to do something. The first thing I did was I added a dreanaught and then I added a heavy weapons squad with 3 auto-cannons. I never really got to try them out before I decided to drop them. 

I found that I hardly ever fired the IGs heavy weapons because my chimeras were moving around, and getting stunned, and I was getting out to rapid fire etc. So I abandoned the chimera based heavy weapons and I dropped one chimera and took only 2, one for my platoon squad (I love driving up, spinning my chimera around and getting out and laying down a bunch of flamer templates). The other chimera was for the Storm Troopers to do the same thing with 2 BS4 melta guns. That left me with 2 IG squads to do something with. So I thought that they would just hang out and shoot. If I blob them together I can have 20 guys with 2 autocannons to have a lot of ablative wounds to absorb damage, but I was worried about them running away. They have a bad leadership and if I wanted them to hang out in the rear to hold objectives and take pot-shots, I needed to count on them still being there at the end of the game. So to make up for this potential failure source I added in a commissar. He gives them Leadership 9, Stubborn, and if I ever fail a roll, I can croak a sergeant to re-roll my leadership check. I was thinking about taking off the flamers, and adding another autocannon in the platoon commander’s squad and also putting in a medic for FNP to really give them some durability, but I think if they are in cover, 20 guys will be hard to kill when there are other targets to worry about.

Heavy Support
Land Raider
Land Raider

No change.
These guys are perfect and working great. I am tempted to add another, but you can have too much of a good thing.

Unit Added:
Dreadnaught w/TL Lascannon
I needed some more anti-tank and here is a way to add a reliable Lascannon to the mix. Not only that, but a dreadnaught is great in a lot of roles like counter assault. I wish I had spare points so I could add a heavy flamer for some more anti-horde.

So far I have had good results with the army. I am 5-1-3 with it so far. I am still learning how to us it because I am still making a lot of mistakes, but it seems to be functioning pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment