Sunday, March 20, 2011

Metal or Plastic?


With the release of the new Grey Knights army, one of the last armies with a majority of metal models will be riding off into the sunset. There is always the debate of which is better, metal or plastic? Generally everyone agrees that it is plastic miniatures that are far superior to metal. The ease of their assembly, the conversion opportunities, and when you drop them on the floor they bounce, unlike metal models that will break into their component parts and fly into different directions.
  
It use to be that metal models, although lacking in poses, had a lot of detail and character that the plastic models always lacked. But that is a thing of the past with the new technology in plastic casting, and the idea to place a lot of options and added details on the sprues to give even the most detailed metal models a run for their money.

But like my love of old codexes, I am old school when it comes to my models as well. I just like the feel of metal models in my hand, and when I am moving them across the board. They “feel” substantial and I love using metal models in my armies. Plastic models are just so light and insubstantial and lack the physical presence that the metal models have.

I have spent the last couple of weeks converting some metal grey knight models that I have to finish for Adepticon and I can tell you that my fingers are glad. They have been cut, filed down, bruised and punctured, and finally are trying to heal (for now anyways because when they Grey Knight codex comes out they are going to be in a lot of trouble). And as if I did not have enough work for me, I had to change them from halberds to swords, and that was not easy.

Here are my Grey Knights



Here are my Terminators

No comments:

Post a Comment