Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Demon list


Well with the new demon models coming out, I thought I would try my hand at a demon list.

  
Since I am a Tzeentch player in Warhammer Fantasy and in Chaos Space Marines, I see no reason to stop now. So that means that I am going mono-god which everyone knows is much harder than the multi-god builds. Especially without the crutch of Bloodcrushers every other list is not going to be as good.

So here is my list...


The army:

HQ

Fateweaver

Fateweaver is getting a new model, so let's use him. He will also be very important because he will be the lynch pin of the army. Not only will he be a huge bullet magnet, but he will be able to use a lot of psychic powers to good effect, and the most important ability is to re-roll saves. Since Tzeentch demons get a higher inv. save than other demons, this really helps them out with their survivability. Horrors with the ability to re-roll a 4+ invulnerable save are more durable than a 3+ armor save. 

Lord of Change

I thought about Heralds of Tzeentch here, and of course the Blue Scribes, but I think he goes well with the heavy support choices. That way you have target priority problems with so many MCs.

Elites

3 Flamers

Everyone knows that these guys are good, but with the army build, it is hard to get more than just 2 in there. I am thinking about a way to get 6 into the list but I would have to cut it some where else.

Troops

5 Horrors w/Changeling, Bolt of Change, Icon

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change, Icon

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change

They are several small units, so it might be better to consolidate them to help in kill point missions. The 4+ save helps, and I feel that my opponent will have other things to shoot at that are a higher priority.


Heavy Support

Demon Prince w/Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT, Bolt of Tzeentch

Demon Prince w/Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT, Bolt of Tzeentch

Demon Prince w/Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT

These guys are there instead of a Soulgrinder because of Fateweaver. He can make these guys more durable, but not a Soulgrinder. Everyone knows how hard it is to kill a fortuned Avatar, and then you have 3 of them + the 2 HQs. The flight makes them hard to stay away from, and the iron hide makes them able to survive small arms fire better. Add the re-roll of Fateweaver, and they should be very hard to kill.


Summary

This list is a very small army. It has some pretty good shooting in it for a demon army with just about everything being able to shoot a strength 8 AP1 shot. It revolves around the MC though. If I can keep the army together, good things should happen. If Fateweaver though gets taken out, then it will be hard pressed to make up for that loss. It would be hard to beat in a Kill Point mission if I make it into a few large Horror squads. 

I would break the army in half to be like this:


Preferred Wave

Fateweaver

3 Flamers

5 Horrors w/Changeling, Bolt of Change, Icon

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change

Demon Prince w/Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT, Bolt of Tzeentch

Demon Prince w/Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT

Other Wave

Lord of change

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change, Icon

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change

5 Horrors w/Bolt of Change

Demon Prince w/Flight, Iron Hide, Unholy Might, MoT, Bolt of Tzeentch

7 comments:

  1. I have found that Iron hide and MoT is a waste on DPs. Do you really need a 3+/4+? I would drop the Iron hide and buy more flamers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bringing my Daemons to BoLSCon this year. For the actual tournament, that is - obviously Fritz and I are playing Eldar in the team event.

    My army sports 4 Heralds of Tzeentch on Chariot, 3 units of Fiends, 4 units of Plaguebearers, Kharnak and a unit of Khornedogs, and 3 Daemon Princes of Tzeentch.

    Re: DP's, I agree with BloodandIron about Iron Hide but not about the MoT. Basically, 50% of the wounds go away - that's better than 33%, obviously. Since Iron Hide adds expense for a save you may not get, I'd avoid it and spring for Bolt and/or Breath. I personally don't use Wings either, but I see where you're going with it.

    I tested Flamers when I was building toward my 2000pt list and quite liked them but ultimately found I needed the close combat punch and speed the Fiends bring.

    Good luck! Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warmaster on Dakkadakka is pretty successful with his deamons. That army is one of the few armies I do not own and I cant honestly give you a good enough review on it but lots of AP1 S8 shots should kill vehicles. CHangling does annoy guard and tau armies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this list, then again, I like Monstrous Creatures.
    My only suggestion would be to try and find some way to add another group of flamers.
    Flamers are just brutal and worth their weight in gold...however, with only one group - the chances of them not getting to where they need to be is a heavy risk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like flamers too, so I think I will add some more (plus I have some well painted flamer models).

    With Iron Hide I am trying to protect my investment. I spent so many points on them that I want to keep them alive as long as possible. Fateweaver will not always be around, and at toughness 5 they will not only take wounds from the big ticket items that you need the Inv save for, but also you will have to deal with assault troops that have a ton of attack and taking wounds for rapid firing bolters. IG are another reason. Sure they are loaded with Melta gun vets, but they also have "bring it down" and a lot of shots from autocannons, and chimeras with heavy bolters and multi-lasers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would see the flamers as being more useful in the second wave, opposed to the first wave. If you are up against mech, it will be kinda pointless to bring them in before there is a nice juicy squad on foot to flame. Then again it's one of those things you can decide on a game-to-game basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a few pros and cons to have them in either wave.

    The first wave they can hit units that are all bunched up from deployment, and they are such a huge threat that if you have them behind cover, your opponent will not want to go near them and that helps you control their movement.

    But you are right they are best used in the second wave. First off you want your heavy hitters on the board turn #1. Also if you can get some icons on the table so that they will not deviate helps to get them where you want them. But the best part is that there are so many threats running around that they will be one of several targets, and your opponent will have a lot of other problems to deal with.

    ReplyDelete