Monday, August 8, 2011

On to the Nova Open Invitational!


It looks like my performance at the Bay Area Open was good enough to get me an invite to the Nova Open Invitational Tournament.

So what is the Invitational Tournament? It is some of the best players who won tournaments that received an invitation to compete in a one-day, 5-round tournament that is on the Friday before the regular Nova Open.

So what did I have to do to play in this tournament? I had to change my flight which is a $78 charge for Airtran, and $30 for Orbitz, then I had to book an extra day at the Hotel which is $109 and the last thing is that I have to pay $50 for the tournament. So to add it up, to play on Friday I have to pay $267+ (That is not counting the flight and the hotel room for the rest of the Nova Open). Lucky for me the prize is $1000 so I better win it!

Oh, here is another funny thing. The Invitational starts its first game at 8:00am. So to get up and shower and to have some breakfast that means that I have to wake up around 7:00am. Now I will be flying in from the west coast the day before so that means that I will be waking up at 4:00am Pacific time. What you may not know is that I work evenings, and I normally go to bed at around 2:00am at night. So that would be like most people playing at a tournament at 3:00am in the morning. I am going to be tired!

6 comments:

  1. Sooo. You gonna man up and bring the Eldar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring yer GK - they are the heavy hitters.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with that! East west flights are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allen, you gonna die heinously...and I'll be there to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome dude, I'll see you there! I'm also going to the Invitational, where I expect to be promptly mutilated beyond recognition against 5 people who actually know what they're doing with their armies. I haven't hardly even touched my Dark Eldar after BoLSCON. Think I've gotten in two games, and lost both, because of a lack of desire to play/focus.

    But it'll be fun, now I'll actually know who you are and won't just fail to talk to you this time :-p

    Anyways, cya in a few weeks, on my way to some sort of exhaustion-related sickness by the end of the tournament (14 games in 72 hours FTW, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not have the right foot eldar these days. What do I mean by that? Well, I use to take a lot of guardians to bubble wrap and to shoot things that get to close. Well the torrent of fire armies that came out in the last 2 codexes (GKs and DEs) can blow that type of army off of the table. To make foot eldar work you need the more durable type centered around wraithguard.

    I also have some worries about my GK build because of the Nova Open format, you need a ton of small scoring units. At 1750 points my army might be too small.

    ReplyDelete